Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Twin Problem

Last night I decided to try to work on grasping Einstein's theory of relativity for my bucket list. Even though I knew this was one task bound to fail (especially at 11pm), I went ahead and looked up "Theory of Relativity for Dummies" on Google. If your brain hurts just to think about trying to understand how complex this is, you don't know the half of it!
It all starts very nice and sweet: An astronaut leaves his twin brother on earth for a space adventure of light-speed proportions. After taking off, he probably spends his time reading old books and eating crappy food while doing all his secret NASA business. Day after day he works and eats and is bored, for 10 years. After that, it is finally time to return home! He lands in Washington D.C and even though he is still 45 years old, he is ready for the shock of his life. His twin brother is 75!

WHAT!?

Yes, exactly. Apparently space traveling is also time traveling. Whoever thought of THAT!? I don't get it, you don't get it and yet Einstein was brilliant enough to come up with this. The worst thing is his theory has been proven in Switzerland's labs! I am extremely tempted to scratch off that item from my bucket list. Does knowing what the theory is trying to say to a certain level count?

No comments:

Post a Comment